I little while ago, I was in the market for a cast iron skillet. I had never owned one before as I was wary of cookware that requires seasoning to maintain it but I now felt like my kitchen was incomplete without it.
For example what else would do for those steaks that need to be seared on the stove top and finished off in the oven? Or a spinach frittata!
I set out to do my research. Which brand should I buy and was there any way around the requirement to season cast iron cookware?
The first thing I found out was that cast iron comes either bare or enameled. Enameled cast iron has the advantage of not needing seasoning as well as preventing rust. However, it obviously does not have the same non-stick feature as bare seasoned cast iron. It’s also much pricier. Le Creuset is the name that stands out in high quality enameled cast iron cookware. This is cookware designed to last longer than you!
However, much as I would have loved to splurge on Le Creuset, I was looking for more value for my money. And I found this simple Lodge Logic skillet. This pan comes in a variety of sizes so whatever your need you are sure to find what you need.
Here is why I liked this product:
1. It comes pre-seasoned, ready to use.
2. Excellent value for money as far as quality of product goes. As one happy customer said: it is outstanding, don’t let the price fool you. Lodge has been in business for over 100 years and really stand behind their products.
3. Considered an heirloom piece that will outlast you! For the price it is offered at, that’s an unbeatable advantage. Lodge describes their cookware as ‘brutally tough for decades of cooking’.
4. The bare cast iron offers a health benefit as it allows some dietary iron to leach into food.
1. Of course, even though it is pre-seasoned, the seasoning does need to be replenished with a coat of oil after every cleaning.
2. Also, many users state that the initial pre-seasoning just prevents the pan from rusting before it gets to you, you do need to do some more seasoning before you get a desirable non-stick quality. However, once that’s done, the pan performs wonderfully and is quite easy to maintain. [Click here for 7 Steps to Seasoning Cast Iron]
Overall, I think Lodge Cast Iron Cookware stands up to its reputation and gives excellent value for money. So if you are in the market for bare cast iron cookware, this one deserves a look.
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.